Photo Of The Day
London gives Olympic Games a grand farewell
Pick of the day
With high voltage performances by the past, present and future from the world of music, London bid goodbye to the Olympics with a stylish yet informal closing ceremony. Every Olympic city has its own style of closing the Games with a ceremony that conveys a big thank you to everyone who had made it successful. London did it with music and celebrated late into the night.
Lithuania's Laura Asadauskaite won the last gold medal of the London Olympics in the women's modern pentathlon. Asadauskaite, the reigning European champion, set an Olympic record score of 5,408 as she won the event, designed to test 19th century military skills such as riding, running and pistol shooting.
India In Olympics
First Olympic Gold Medal Won by India was in 1928 Olympics in hockey. India defeated the host country Holland 3-0 in the finals. Legendary Dhyan Chand scored two goals in the final. Indian goalkeeper Richard Allen had the unique distinction of not conceding a single goal throughout the tournament. The gold medal won by the Indian hockey team in 1928 was the first Olympic gold medal won by Asia in the modern Olympics.
- Olympics closing ceremony, a crazy mix of spicy music
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious
- The best Olympics for India
- IOA hails Indian sportspersons
- Late gold rush saves Russia's blushes ahead of Sochi
- US claim basketball gold
- Lithuania's Asadauskaite wins last gold
- London gives Olympic Games a grand farewell
- Sad that Pak didn't win a single medal: Dawn
- Sushil Kumar targets gold in Rio Olympics